Media Relations Contact:
September 5, 2000
Ride Trinity Railway Express free September 18 - 30!
Commuter Rail Expansion Highlights September 18 Service Improvements
New commuter rail service on the Trinity Railway Express is the featured attraction of DART's September service improvement program.
Starting September 18, the Trinity Railway Express - now linking downtown Dallas and South Irving -- rolls further west with four new stops at West Irving Station (Jackson St. at Esters Rd.), CentrePort/DFW Airport Station (14470 Statler Blvd., southeast of Trinity Boulevard and
SH 360), Hurst/Bell Station (3232 Bell Spur Dr. at Trinity Blvd.) and Richland Hills Station (7225 Burns, Handley-Ederville Road and SH 121). Travel time will be approximately 45 minutes from Union Station to Richland Hills.
With the expansion, new fare zones of $1 and $2 are being introduced on the Trinity Railway Express only. For example, one-way fare from Union Station to West Irving Station will be $1. Service to Centerport/DFW Airport, Hurst/Bell and Richland Hills stations will be $2. Fares include free transfers to connecting Fort Worth T and DART services.
To introduce the new destinations, all Trinity Railway Express trips are free from September 18 to 30. Service opens next year to two more stations in downtown Fort Worth. DART inaugurated a 10-mile commuter rail line between Dallas and Irving in December 1996. More than 2,300 people ride the Trinity Railway Express each weekday.
Trinity Railway Express Expansion At A Glance
- Grand opening festivities: Sept. 16
- First day of full service: Sept. 18
- Last day of free rides: Sept. 30
- Length of rail line (Dallas to Richland Hills): 27 miles
- Service from Downtown Dallas to CentrePort/DFW Airport: 6:26 a.m.- 12 midnight, weekdays; 8 a.m.- 12 midnight, Saturdays
- Service from CentrePort/DFW Airport to downtown Dallas: 5:46 a.m. - 10:55 p.m., weekdays; 6:55 a.m. - 10:55 p.m. Saturdays
- Commute time between downtown Dallas-CentrePort: 30 minutes
- Commute time between downtown Dallas-Airport Terminals: Approximately 50 minutes
- Service from downtown Dallas to Richland Hills: 6:26, 7:44 a.m.; 4:27, 5:16, 6:13 p.m.
- Service from Richland Hills to downtown Dallas: 6:13, 6:41, 7:31 a.m.; 4:42, 5:31 p.m.
- Commute time between downtown Dallas-Richland Hills: Approximately 45 minutes
New bus and train connection to DFW Airport
Starting September 18, the Trinity Railway Express is the way to get to Dallas Fort Worth International Airport. The new Trinity Railway Express/DFW Airport Shuttle bus links the new CentrePort/DFW Airport Station to all airport terminals. Shuttle buses meet all trains, departing every 25 minutes during weekday rush hours and hourly during midday. On Saturdays, shuttles meet trains hourly during midday and evening periods. The shuttle is free to anyone presenting a valid Trinity Railway Express ticket or pass.
The train ride will take about 30 minutes from Union Station in Downtown Dallas to CentrePort/DFW Airport Station. The shuttle to the airport will take just 15 to 20 minutes.
DART Express Bus Route 202 and Crosstown Bus Route 409 also will continue serving airport area employers.
Connecting Bus Schedules Modified
To make bus and train connections easier, several bus routes providing transfer connections to the Trinity Railway Express at South Irving Station will experience minor schedule modifications. These include Routes 301, 302, 303, 305, 306, 307, 308, 404 and 409. In Dallas, the UT Southwestern Medical Center shuttle service will also be adjusted to meet trains at Medical/Market Center Station between 6 a.m. and 7 p.m.
Customers with questions about the new bus schedules or train service should visit the DART website, www.DART.org, or contact DART Customer Information, 214-979-1111.
-- 30 --