Boarding a DART Bus with a Mobility Device
All DART buses have wheelchair ramps or lifts and all transit centers are accessible.
How to board the bus
- Wait in view of the operator: Wait by the bus stop where the operator can see you. That way when your bus arrives, the operator will know to deploy the ramp or lift, which helps save time.
- If you need the ramp or lift, just ask: If you need to use the ramp or lift and the operator has not already deployed it, just ask. He or she can assist you if you need help guiding your mobility device onto the lift. You may board the bus by either facing toward the bus or away from the bus when using the lift, whichever is easier for you.
- Priority seating and securement areas: On board, look for the priority seating area near the front of the bus. Two securement areas are provided for mobility devices. The operator will help secure your mobility device.
- Transfer to a seat: For your safety, you may prefer to transfer to a seat, as it may be difficult to safely secure the passenger within some mobility devices. It is your choice to transfer or remain in your mobility device.
- Press the signal strip to request a stop: About one block from your stop, press the plastic strips tape on the flip up seats in the wheelchair securement area. This signals the operator that you want to get off at the next stop.
- Getting off the bus: When the bus stops, the operator will remove the securement straps from your mobility device, and deploy the ramp or lift for you.
On board, the bus operator will help secure your mobility device to ensure a safe and comfortable ride. The illustration below shows how different types of mobility devices are secured:
You can bring a two-wheeled electric device (such as the Segway®) on the bus when used as a mobility device due to a disability. (Note: The device must be turned off when boarding, riding and exiting the vehicle.)
Back to Top